Why Use Cloth Diapers?
Although cloth diapering might feel outdated or overwhelming, the modern designs of today’s cloth diapers can make them as easy to use as disposables with many additional benefits.
Trash Creation– Disposable diapers are the third largest contributor to our landfill systems (only after beverage containers and newspapers).
Resource Consumption– It takes many more of our resources to continually create disposable diapers than having one set of cloth that is just washed and reused.
Energy Consumption– It takes more energy to continually create and ship disposables to consumers than the energy used in washing cloth diapers.
Water Use– It takes more water to wash diapers at home than it takes to make disposables. For this reason, please be mindful of care instructions to minimize this impact.
General Environmental Statistics:
- One baby will need approximately 6,500 disposable diapers for a 2 1/2 year diapering period.
- To acquire the wood pulp for disposable diapers, one million trees world-wide are cut down per year.
- Over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby EACH YEAR.
What can you do to lessen the environmental impact of using cloth?
- Consider buying bamboo, hemp or organic diapers to avoid the use of pesticides normally used in the growing of conventional cotton.
- Make sure you have enough diapers to last at least three days between.
- Use a bio-degradable, non-phosphate detergent, or a vegetable-based soap to wash your diapers.
- Hang diapers in lieu of using the dryer and enjoy the sunshine’s *free* bleaching with absolutely no environmental impact.
- USE A CLEAN ENERGY SOURCE to power your washing machine.
- Using disposable diapers during one child’s diapering years will cost between $2,000 and $3,500 dollars.
- The recommended number of cloth diapers is 24-36 with 5-9 covers (if the chosen diaper needs covers). At a cost of between $3.00 and $24.00 per diaper, the cost of cloth diapers for one child would range from $150 and up.
- Once a set of cloth diapers is purchased, they can be used for multiple children!
- Upon finishing with cloth diapers, many people chose to resell them, recovering some of the investment.